A large chemical fire erupted at the BioLab’s Lake Charles plant in Louisiana as Hurricane Laura passed through the area yesterday morning. The plant manufactures trichloroisocyanuric acid, chlorinating granules as well as other chemicals that are used in household cleaners and pool chlorine powder.
Trichloroisocyanuric acid and chlorine are potentially acutely toxic to people and animals if ingested or inhaled. Chlorine gas, is a potent irritant to the eyes, throat and lungs.
There were no reported injuries but Gov. John Bel Edwards did issue the following statement to local residents: “There is a chemical fire in the Westlake/Moss Bluff/Sulphur area. Residents are advised to shelter in place until further notice and close your doors and windows.”
Hurricane Laura aftermath: Chemical fire erupts outside Lake Charles, Louisiana