The 2014 edition of the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code includes many changes. Some of the more significant changes include the following:
- Shippers and carriers that handle Class 7 goods need to be aware of the updates to provisions reflecting the 2012 edition of the IAEA Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material.
- The format of the Dangerous Goods List (DGL) has been modified. There are now two columns (16a & 16b) that have replaced the single Column 16 – Stowage and Segregation.
- Additionally, the descriptive text for this section has now been replaced with codes that are defined in Chapter 7
- Column 16a – Stowage and Handling: in addition to the Stowage Category codes there is also “SW” stowage codes, “H” handling codes (as defined in sections 7.1.5 and 7.1.6)
- Column 16b – Segregation: contains “SG” segregation codes (as defined in section 7.2.8).
- Changes have been made to Chapter 7.2
- includes more stringent segregation and stowage requirements for Class 4.3 and other water-reactive materials.
The Dangerous Goods List has also been updated. Some of the changes include:
- For UN 3268 – PSN has been changed from “air bag modules, air bag inflators or seat-belt pretensioners” to “safety devices”.
- Asbestos is to be shipped as UN 2212 : Asbestos, Amphibole” or UN 2590 “asbestos, chrysotile”.
- The entry “capacitors” has now been divided into “capacitor, electric double layer” (UN 3499) and “capacitor, asymmetric” (UN 3508)
- “Packaging discarded, empty, uncleaned” (UN 3509) has been added but can’t be used for sea transport.
- A series of shipping names for various absorbed gases have been assigned between UN 3510 and UN 3526.
Special provisions have been added and/or revised as well.
- SP 367 through 376 – excluding 374 and 375
- SP 968 through SP 970
- SP 376 through 377 – Lithium batteries damaged/defective or for recycling/disposal.
- SP 967, 962 – vehicles or internal combustion engines (see also SP 970).
To view the entire IMDG code visit International Maritime Organization Publications