The special permits affected by the final rule represent variances from current regulations on topics categorized as follows:
- Limited quantities of liquids and solids containing ethyl alcohol.
- Transportation of solid coal tar pitch compounds.
- Transportation of certain ammonia solutions in UN1H1 and UN6HA1 drums.
- Transportation of spent bleaching earth.
- Requalification of non-DOT specification cylinders in life-saving appliances.
- Use of regulated medical waste containers displaying alternative markings.
- Adoption of special permits to harmonize with FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.
- DOT–SP 9275—Exemption of LTD QTY of materials containing Ethyl Alcohol from provisions of HMR
- DOT–SP 11263—Class 9 solid coal pitch compounds in non-specification open-top or closed-top sift proof metal cans or fiber drums.
- DOT–SP 11836—Transportation of UN1H1 and UN6HA1 drums containing ammonia solutions that do not meet certain requirements
- DOT–SP 12134—Authorization of exceptions for spent bleaching earth (Division 4.2 PG III)
- DOT–SP 12825—Authorization to transport Life-saving appliances, self- inflating, containing non-specification steel cylinders between a vessel and an authorized facility for servicing.
- DOT–SP 14479—Authorization for the use of alternative shipping names and marking requirements for regulated medical wastes.
- Special Permits for Harmonization with the ‘‘FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012’’—PHMSA is adding an exception to the HMR for Oxygen cylinders and other Oxidizing cylinders transported aboard aircraft within the state of Alaska. This language will make several existing special permits no longer necessary. This includes the following special permits: 14903, 14908, 15062, 15075, 15076, 15077, 15078, 15079, 15092, 15094, 15095, and 15143.
- CA2005120010—Authorization to manufacture, mark, and sell UN4G combination packagings with outer fiberboard boxes and with inner fiberboard components that have basis weights that vary by not more than plus or minus 5% from the measured basis weight in the initial design qualification test report.
- CA20060660005—Authorization to manufacture, mark, and sell UN5M1 and UN5M2 multi-wall paper bags with individual paper wall basis weights that vary by plus or minus 5% from the nominal basis weights reported in the initial design qualification test report.
- CA2006060006—Authorization to manufacture, mark, and sell UN4G combination packagings with outer fiberboard components that have individual containerboard basis weights that vary by plus or minus 5% from the nominal basis weight reported in the initial design.
- CA2006010012—Authorization to manufacture, mark, and sell UN4G combination packagings with outer fiberboard boxes and with inner fiberboard components that have individual containerboard basis weight that vary by plus or minus 5% from the nominal basis weight reported in the initial design qualification test report.
Revision to Approvals Renewals
PHMSA is revising this section to allow for approval holders applying for a timely renewal to continue using their approval after the expiration date if they apply within 60 days of the expiration dates.